Sunday, August 10, 2008

quick updates...

It's been a busy weekend for all of us.  We had another marathon birthday party day yesterday.  The first one was, of course, Monkey's.  It was at the home of the cheesy big rat.  Just so you readers know, 10:30 on a Saturday morning is a great time to start a birthday party at Chuck's.  Sure, there were other children around, but no where near as many as there were when we left at 12:30.  We were even able to let Little Man wander around "playing" the different games without having to hover over him.  
 
After lunch, we had "quiet time" in front of the TV, then some coloring for about an hour or so before we had to leave for the next party.  Little Man isn't napping so much any more.  Can't imagine why with the new bed and all!  The second party was at the same bounce house that we went to before, only this time, Little Man had a huge time!  He didn't go down the big slide, though.  He either hung out on top and watched the other kids, or slid down the steps on his tummy.  It was funny to watch him at the top, though.  I could see him, laying on his tummy, talking to one of the assistants up there, and pointing to the children as they came up to slide down, but I have no idea what he was saying.  Probably something like:  "see that one?  She's cute." or "those crazy kids are going down backwards.  Don't they know they should follow the directions from the video they watched?  Someone's gonna get hurt, but it won't be me because I'm not going down that slide - uh-uh, no way."  Ok, probably not, but it sure looked like he was saying something important.
 
Then earlier today we had yet another birthday party to go to.  This one was at the mall, at Build-a-Bear.  Monkey was so excited about building a Hannah Montana bear (I'm already Hannah Montana'd out).  So we dropped her off for the party and Little Man and I decided to take a stroll around the mall.
 
Wow.
 
I've been on the hunt for a new bag for a little while, now.  But I'm very particular about what I want.  It's one of those "I'll know it when I see it" things.  So we started looking to see what the mall had.  First, we try Belk's because it was right there.  Did you know bags were expensive?  I'm apparently too used to shopping at Tarjay because I couldn't believe some of the prices out there!!  And the styles... no thanks.  I'm more of a long single strap, messenger bag, type person, and there just aren't any of those smaller than a small backpack out there.  All the other bags are the kind that go right under your arm, barely beneath the shoulder.  I hope I'm not offending anyone, but who seriously pays $80-$150 for a purse?  Seriously!  So, I move on to another store.
 
Dillard's didn't have much more to offer.  Oh, there were a few nice bags, and I did find an unusual one that I really liked, but it was - are you ready for this? - $178!!  For that price, it should come with a wallet stuffed with money, don't you agree?
 
Wilson's didn't have any styles I liked.
 
So we wandered some more.  Little Man, for once, was behaving in the stroller.  I think it was because of all the ....  interesting .... people hanging out at the mall on the last day before school starts.  Let's just say I'm not looking forward to those pre-teen years.
 
Then as we headed toward JC Penney's, I saw Spencer gifts had some messenger bags.  Hmmm.  They might even have some cool ones for those moms that aren't yet ready to get the "old woman" bag, like my grandma used to have.  Note to self, when you're 36 years young, pushing a stroller, you don't really belong in Spencer gifts.  I didn't even make it 6 feet into the store without feeling that "why are YOU here" vibe.  And the look I got from someone leaving the store, who had to step around the stroller, was indescribable.  No, really!  I couldn't even begin to guess what was going through that goth-girl's mind.  Oh, and by the way, for all those goth-readers out there, I was goth, too, back in the day.  All black, oversized clothes that I could hide in, hanging out with the skater-punks, listening to Danzig and The Cure, Suicidal Tendencies and early Metallica and Megadeth (then I got into the big-hair bands, but that's a whole other post).  Rejecting the "norms" everyone tried to push on me.  My mom went to see The Clash for crying out loud!  I was old school, man!  Don't give me that look!
 
But I digress...
 
Needless to say, it was an interesting experience, hanging out at the mall.  Enough that I don't want to do it again, any time soon....

No comments: