Friday, August 8, 2008

Frugal Friday

This hasn't been a very productive day, but it's been somewhat frugal.  Monkey wanted to invite a friend over for a playdate this afternoon as part of her special day.  So we had a picnic at the park and instead of hitting a drive-thru (which is much more convenient), I made lunch for us all and took it with us.  The kids didn't know any different, they were too busy running and playing.  It also cost nothing, so that was good, too!  You don't have to spend money for kids to have fun, sometimes hanging out with another friend on a log house is all one needs.
 
Another frugal thing I did this week was mend a pair of shorts.  I had a pair of linen shorts that had a seam start to come apart.  Instead of just tossing the shorts, I took ten minutes to mend them together.  I don't know how to use a sewing machine so I had to hand-stitch them.  It was very simple and I didn't have to toss the shorts or pay for someone to fix it for me.  Another good free thing.
 
I'd love to learn how to use a sewing machine.  Not that I have time to, mind you, but it would be a good skill to have.  My dad knows how.  I remember as a child he used to get those Frost Line kits.  I don't even know if they still sell them.  He made parkas for mom and himself and I remember he made me a bookbag/backpack for school.  I still have the parka he made for mom.  He also made a down mummy sleeping bag.  I still use it.   I remember seeing bags of down feathers in our dining room while he was making it.  I was forbidden to go in the room for fear of busting a few bags open and having feathers go all over the place.
 
OK, I have to digress for a minute.  I have the Olympics on right now and they were playing (in the background) China Cat Sunflower by The Grateful Dead.  Something just ain't right about watching Chinese history with a Tom Brokaw voiceover and The Dead playing in the background.
 
What can/did you do that was frugal this week?

No comments: