Saturday, June 21, 2008

ch ch ch changes....

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes (Turn and face the stranger) Ch-ch-Changes Pretty soon you're gonna get a little older Time may change me But I can't trace time I said that time may change me But I can't trace time
(David Bowie, in case you didn't recognize it)
Ok, so I changed the name of my blog.  I like "Butterflies in my hand" better anyway.  It's something my daughter said this morning.  Actually, it's something she's always said when her hands/feet/leg/whatever had fallen asleep.  I thought it was the coolest way to describe what it feels like when your foot falls asleep.  Certainly better than "pins and needles."
Have you ever held a butterfly?  So light and barely there.  Fleeting, too.  They don't linger.  It's like our lives, our children and friends.  Not light and barely there, but fleeting sometimes.  You blink and your baby girl is in Kindergarten.  Your baby boy isn't a baby anymore.  He's at the ER getting his face fixed (Little man fell down a couple of steps and split his eyebrow open the other day).  You find out that someone you knew in college has passed suddenly.  Life is fleeting, isn't it?
Daddy told me once when I was a little girl that butterflies are the spirits of old friends that you haven't seen in a while floating by to check on you, making sure you're ok.  Mommies and Daddies are good at telling such things to children.  I'm older now and "know better" but still when I see a butterfly, I say a little prayer for a friend that I haven't seen in a while and tell the butterfly that I'm doing ok.  Is it silly?  Yeah, maybe so, but I still do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed reading your blogs altho. it took some time to figure out the new names. Fun Kayak story esp. w. Princess squealing=--would love to have been there for that!!! Keep them coming as a far-away grandma LOVES the update!! Cute puppy!!