Monday, March 23, 2009

Sick day

Today we're having a "sick day."  Moms don't usually get sick days, but their kids do.  Little Man got sick yesterday.  I'm not sure with what, but he had a fever when he woke up from his nap and didn't want to eat.
 
My guess is that we were going and going so much last week that his little immune system just got plum tuckered out.  So we gave him some medicine and sent him to bed at his normal time.  We thought he was starting to feel better because he played his normal "get out of bed every 3 minutes" routine before finally going to sleep.
 
Then sometime around 2:00 am, he came to wake me up because his pajamas were wet.  My first groggy thought was his pullups leaked, but he said it was his shirt.  My second guess was water leaked out of his sippy cup.  Then I got a whiff of that harsh acidic smell of vomit.
 
Great.
 
So I get up to check his bed and discover that it's all over his pillow by sticking my hand in it.  It's no fun to stick your hand in cold vomit at two in the morning, just so ya know.  I say a little prayer of thanks that he didn't aspirate on his vomit while sleeping and, with one eye open (which is probably why I stuck my hand in vomit), I got his clothes and his bed linens changed.  I then got him more medicine because I noticed while changing him how hot his little body was and sent him back to bed, again with prayers that he wouldn't get sick again. 
 
He slept through the rest of the night.  He hasn't been vomiting again, but he still had his fever when he fell asleep on our bed this morning.  He's since been moved to his bed and he's still sleeping.
 
Oh, and I have a headache and a sore throat.  Gee, it's good to be home.
 
 

No comments: