Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!

Those of you who know me know that today isn't really my birthday.  But it the anniversary of my baptism through Christ.  I got the idea to post this about a week or so ago and while I'm not good at testimonies and such, here goes.
I'm sure I have friends out there who've known me for years that, if they're reading this, they're saying to themselves "..... wow ..... really?!? ...... wow....."  The thing is, I changed more when I became a parent than when I became a follower of Christ.  I'm still me.  The only thing different is that I'm striving to be more Christ-like in my life.  It's hard.  I'm not very good at it.  Good thing I'm already forgiven, right??  
How did I get here?  It probably started after Monkey was born.  Having a child changes everything about your life and how you live it.  But it really kicked in while we were living in Oklahoma.  I needed friends and moms to hang out with, so I started going to MOPS to meet other moms.  I didn't realize at the time that MOPS is a Christian-based ministry.   My first meeting, I thought "what have I gotten into?"  I wasn't sure about staying, but I liked the women I met.  The longer I stayed, the better I got to know some of them, and the more I was opened to Jesus.  
When we moved to where we are now, again, I needed to meet some people and make friends.  I also started visiting some churches.  I found two churches that I liked - one had a great traditional service and it felt like home.  I can't really explain it, but it had that old smell, old wood and stone, and it reminded me of my grandfather and I just felt comfortable there.  I could see Monkey getting married in that church.  I also liked really liked the pastors, the members were very nice and I made a few good friends.
The other church has a great contemporary service and I also really liked the pastors there.  It's a really big church, though, so I felt lost when I visited.  However, this church had a moms group and it was close to home, so I started going  to the moms group.  It gave me a "back door" to the church, so I didn't feel so lost any more when attending the services.  I met some amazing, faithful women in this group.  I learned so much from them as moms, as Christians and as friends.  I could go on and on, but I won't.  Trey started visiting the contemporary service with me (he's not into the traditional service much at all) and we decided that this church should be our home church.
Monkey, too, has the natural faith of a child.  There are times when she seems more wise than any adult I have ever met.  Her simple faith has led me more than any church service or book.  So, with my family, friends and church(es) to support me, I had the Believer's Baptism last summer.  I'm still a long way off from "figuring it all out" - we don't even remember to say grace before dinner - but having the people around me that I do, the struggles I'll face won't be nearly as bad.
Thanks to all the angels who guided me to where I am.  I hope you know who you are.  
(an old Irish prayer)
May God give you...
For every storm, a rainbow,
For every tear, a smile,
For every care, a promise,
And a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
A faithful friend to share,
For every sigh, a sweet song,
And an answer for each prayer.

2 comments:

Michaela said...

Happy birthday, although that's my birthday, not yours. ;) LOL

Nathan said...

Well! That was unexpected! I'm very happy for you, but you'll have to give me a few minutes to pick my jaw up off the floor. (: