Friday, July 18, 2008

Frugal Friday

This hasn't been a very frugal week for me.  The one trip to the grocery store was painful - which itself is evidence that the grocery game is working for me.  When was the last time spending $60 at the store painful for you?  Less than 6 months ago, I couldn't get out of the store for less than $90, no matter what few things I was going for.  
Anyway, for $60 I got milk (2 gal), bread, fresh fruit and veggies, meat and some organic juice boxes for the kids.  I also picked up some snack crackers, carpet cleaner and I think that's it.  Not a huge amount, but I managed to save roughly $20.  I still have to stock up on some things that are at the other grocery store, but that'll probably be later tonight or tomorrow before I get there.
Here's a frugal and green thought for cleaning.  I picked up a spray bottle last week and mixed about 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water.  It's great for spot cleaning the floor (especially as I'm cleaning up after the puppy) and it's safe to use around the kids.  I even caught Little Man using it (I think he was trying to clean the cat).  Had it been one of those chemical cleaners I would have been much more concerned.  I already use vinegar and water to clean the floor instead of anything else.  It works great and once the floor is dry, it doesn't smell like vinegar any more.  I also have a friend who uses vinegar as a fabric softener in her wash.   Haven't done that yet.  She also makes recycled totes.  I'll try and feature her one day.  I have a zillion different tote bags, but she said she could make me something that had pockets and such, so maybe we can work something out.   Anyway, she gets fabric that people are giving away/throwing out and then makes pretty bags from them.  I think it's really cool and a great way to reuse and recycle.
Anyone out there have any other frugal or green suggestions?  I'd love to hear about them...

No comments: